How to Make Beef Chateaubriand
1. Tie the piece of meat with butcher string using square knots.
2. Heat oven to 375*.
3. Melt butter and olive oil together in a large skillet.
4. Season meat with salt and pepper.
5. Sear the meat for about 3 minutes and turn carefully until all sides are done.
6. Place the tenderloin in a roasting pan and put in the oven.
7. Roast the beef for 15 to 23 minutes depending on the doneness desired.
8. Peel and roast the vegetables with the roast beef or separately.
9.Take the roast beef out of the oven and allow it to rest; lightly tent it with foil.
10.While the meat is resting, make the sauce.
11. Sauté chopped shallot in the leftover pan juices in the skillet and in roasting pan until soft.
12. Pour wine into the skillet and bring sauce to a boil, scraping up all the brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
13. Reduce the sauce and add beef stock until slightly thick.
14. Remove from heat and stir in herbs and butter in the sauce.
15. Serve the chateaubriand. Slice to desired thickness on the diagonal.
16. Serve with the wine sauce and vegetables.
Illustration by BK Peña